Eligibility & Criteria for National Teachers Excellence Awards
The Pakistan ASCD’s National Teacher Excellence Award (NTEA) is open to:
- currently in-service teachers and academic leaders of Public / Private / Trust /NGO/ Madrassa / Religious / International schools; informal teaching setups; and/or digital teaching platforms, who are involved at any level from preschool to high-school (early childhood, elementary, secondary and higher secondary education);
- currently in-service teachers and academic leaders involved in the non-vocational education of students with special needs.
These teachers should be:
- currently engaged in at least 10 hours per week teaching children face-to-face/online;
- committed to remain in the teaching profession for the next 5 years.
Members of the Advisory Council, the Judging Academy and the Pakistan ASCD Board of Directors are not eligible to Apply.
Applicants for the NTEA will be judged on a rigorous set of criteria to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Judging Academy will look for evidence of a combination of:
- Employing effective instructional practices that are replicable and scalable to influence the quality of education in local context;
- Employing innovative instructional practices that address the particular challenges of the school, community or country and which have shown sufficient evidence to suggest they could be effective in addressing such challenges in a new way;
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom;
- Impact in the community beyond the classroom that provides unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others;
- Helping children become global citizens through providing them with a values-based education that equips them for a world where they will potentially live, work and socialize with people from many different nationalities, cultures and religions;
- Improving the teaching profession through helping to raise the bar of teaching, sharing best practice, and helping colleagues overcome any challenges they face in their school;
- Sharing expertise with the community in local and international contexts such as writing blogs, reading and sharing latest methods; memberships of educational organizations; contribution via electronic and social media; and
- Possessing fine character and a good heart.
There is no algorithm for how we select our finalists. We will shortlist based on their passion, vision and execution of bringing impact in the lives, careers and the character of their learners and the community at large. The ideal applicant is multidisciplinary in their pursuits and is at a moment in their career to maximize the quality of educational practice in Pakistan.
Any malpractices, cheating, plagiarism and faking documents, recommendations, if found, will lead to a 5 year probation period during which the alleged teacher will not be considered for NTEA and other programs under its associated organizations.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The closing date for applications is 30th July 2019.
The application will follow a sequence of shortlisting done through the collaboration of the NTEA Advisory Council and the Judging Academy.
Stage 1- Shortlist top 50 (Profiles and pictures will be published on website and social media)
Stage 2 – Shortlist top 10 (Profiles and pictures will be published on website and social media)
Stage 3 – Top 3
Stage 4 – Winner Announcement
The Announcement of the Winner and the top 3 will be made on 5th October, 2019 during the National Teacher Excellence Award Ceremony held in Islamabad.